1.20.2009

IC Diet Cheat Sheet

This is the interstitial cystitis diet list that I go by. I got this list from my doctor when I was diagnosed in April of 2008. After I got over my worst flares I started to experiment with a few things on the avoid list. The breads and dairy don't seem to bother me. Neither does tea. However, for the most part I strictly go by this list. Especially when I eat out; you never know what restaurants use to cook with. I hope this helps!

AVOID:
  • Beverages: Alcoholic beverages, decaf and regular coffee, decaf and regular tea, soda, carbonated drinks such as mineral water, Kool-aid, Gatorade, and fruit punch, juice made from off-limit fruit AND all juices containing citric acid
  • Fruit: Apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupes, lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit, cranberries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, plums, strawberries, pomegranates, watermelon, cherries, and nothing that contains these items such as jello, pastries, etc.
  • Vegetables: Onions (including dried onion), green, red, yellow, jalapeno and Serrano peppers, tomatoes and all items containing tomatoes such as: tomato sauce, tomato soup, tomato paste, ketchup, barbecue sauce.
  • Seasonings: all seasonings containing citric acid (lemon pepper, season all, Mrs. Dash), salad dressing, vinegar, condiments, all foods containing MSG and preservatives, soy sauce, miso, artificial sweetener (Equal, Splenda), cayenne pepper and spicy foods (Mexican, Indian, and Chinese).
  • Meats: canned, aged, cured and processed meats (spam, bologna, salami, SAUSAGE), meats containing nitrates or nitrites, smoked meats/fish (including anything barbecued), corned beef, anchovies, caviar, chicken livers
  • Nuts and Grains: rye and sour dough bread, fava beans, lima beans, soy beans and tofuMilk
  • Dairy: aged cheeses, sour cream, egg yolks, yogurt, chocolate

OKAY ITEMS:

  • Beverages: Bottled water, tap water, caffeine free herbal teas: mint, spearmint, chamomile, and peppermint (hot or cold with sugar or honey), milk (without hormones)
  • Fruit: honeydew melon, pears, prunes, raisins, blueberries, blackberries, coconut, papaya, mango, blueberry muffins, jelly containing only these fruits with no citric acid.
  • Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, carrots, spinach, asparagus, potatoes, cabbage, leeks, corn, celery, lettuce, mushrooms, cucumber, eggplant, artichokes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and most beans (steamed, fried, baked, however be careful how you season them)
  • Seasonings: salt/pepper, garlic salt or powder, fresh garlic, cinnamon, sugar, brown sugar, sage, cilantro, nutmeg, fresh herbs, can use olive oil as a salad dressing substitute
  • Meats: chicken, fish, ground beef, steak meat, pork, turkey, beef or pork ribs, shellfish (be careful how it is seasoned)
  • Nuts and Grains: pasta, white or brown rice, Mexican rice prepared with chicken broth, white or wheat bread, oatmeal, cereal, plain potato chips, white or corn tortillas, tortilla chips, plain crackers, almonds, cashews, pine nuts, bagels, bagel chips, peanut butter, pretzels
  • Dairy: cottage cheese, butter/margarine, vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt, white chocolate, cream cheese, feta, ricotta, string cheeses, mozzarella, cheddar and American cheese, caramel, *eggs are okay if they are cooked in something (such as a cake)
  • Miscellaneous okay items: beef/chicken broth, pudding, white or yellow cake, pancakes, maple syrup

13 comments:

  1. Thank God I found this blog. I'm totally in the depths of frustration at this point. I'm currently going to a Uro who is giving me Rimso treatments every 2 weeks. Sometimes they help, sometimes not. I've been in bed for a week since my last one. I have to be able to manage this problem as I can only do things spontaneously from day to day and minute to minute. I am so happy. Maybe I will be able to commence with my "passions of creativity" now.I will definitely work on diet and make it a priority from this day on. I guess there is hope afterall. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you a little story~I've been sick for quite sometime. Some foods, drinks, and spices were making me sick. At times I thought it was food poisoning or I blamed it on getting older. For the past 3 months I've been suffering with pelvic pain, pain lower back right side, and bloated. Went to the er had blood test, urine test, and ct scan done, I was told I was hormonal and dismissed me. Next day believe it or not it worsened. Went to another er had ct scan done this time with dye, urine test, and blood test dismissed me again! The next day saw my obgyn she read my test results and said I have a bladder and kidney infection. Gave her urine sample and she was convinced thats what I had. She gave me antiboics and told me to drink ALOT of cranberry juice. Still in pain, still bloated, and follow up apt showed I never had a kidney or bladder infection because I still had blood in my urine and white blood cells. She was sorry, told me I might have ic, must be on ic diet, and referred me to a uro. Thank God I have the internet to educate me, my flare ups are few, the bloating is going down, and I can wear my jeans again. On 7/13/10 I will be seening my uro for the first time. This diet seems to be my answer so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog has been really helpful. Thank you so much for making it and sharing these great recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This so nice to see. No longer feel so alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It very hard living with IC and it good to see that i'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive been having IC since I was 15 i am now 33 and I am still in pain! Sometimes the Med given to me works but sometimes it don't. It hurt me that I can't care for my kids like I want! I don't wear jeans cause it's too much pressure. I just really need a cure! I hope this diet works but i did a diet like this before and the flare up still came back. So un comfotable to sleep. My sex life is Off and On from this! I had 3 surgery from 2009 till Now I tried seeing differnt Uro to see if they can help NOPE! I really need help

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am truly sorry to hear that IC has caused this in your life! My only hope and inspiration is the diet and try to live as stress free as possible!! Good luck and may God bless you in finding what works for you so that you can be the best wife, mother and person you can be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to see a concise list of what I CAN eat. Makes meal planning easier. I do have an IC app on my phone that helps me decide what to eat of buy if I am out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this list of what is OK to eat. I'I've been afraid to eat anything. I question everything I buy. I follow the foods that are safe and still have pain.. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this list of what is OK to eat. I've been afraid to eat anything. I question everything I buy. I follow the foods that are safe and still have pain.. Again, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just recently got diagnosed with ic almost a week ago. Prior to being diagnosed I had sharp pain in my lower back..bloating..and almost what feels like I bee sting after urinating. It would hurt so bad to the point where I wanted to cry. I feel like I'm having to relearn everything. How to cook let alone what things to eat. I'm having such a hard time finding ic friendly dinner ideas or even snacks. I've been sticking to the ic diet since Monday but I feel like I'm always hungry haha. It's so nice to know I'm not alone in this :). Being a mother of two and always being in pain is so hard on my oldest baby. I find that I can't do some of things I used to or the pain increases.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Been battling IC for months. Went to 5 doctors before finally seeing a urologist . All others docs made it seem as if I was crazy. Urologist believes I am having IC issues. I've been following the diet since the day after seeing her. I would recommend anyone suffering from this to eat from the "only bladder friendly list" to start. Your bladder needs time to heal from what has happened. Once you find some relief then maybe try from the try items. I have also been to see a nature path doctor. There are studies to prove that all diseases and problems start with our gut. I've added the paleo diet into my diet as well. I would recommend anyone suffering from this to Maybe get options from a nature path doctor as well. They try and help heal the body not just mask with medications. Not to say stop with IC diet, as I believe it to be right on target with IC problems.

    Should have thrown this in 1st. Seek God in prayer daily for his healing hand and guidance on what the best treatment is for you specifically ! GOD is good !

    Julie

    ReplyDelete